10 PhD positions in the field of photonics07.12.2016
The Fraunhofer-Insititute of Applied Optics and Precision Engineering and the Institute of Applied Physics of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena act in a strategic partnership in the framework of the »Fraunhofer High Performance Center Photonics«. The High Performance Center is embedded in the Abbe School of Photonics and develops innovative solutions with light for important emerging fields and supports their realization and application in science, economy and society. The High Performance Center links application-oriented research and innovative together with scientific excellent fundamental research for tailoring light – beginning from the generation, manipulation to the application.
The Fraunhofer Graduate Research School of Applied Photonics will be established in Jena and comprises the following topics:
- optical instrumentation from EUV to MIR in the areas biology and environment
- manipulation, preparation and conditioning of organic and anorganic micro- and nanoparticles with light
- core technologies for optical instrumentation: micro and nanoopics, micro-fluidics and smart sensing
- fiber laser and their applications
- highly dynamic sensors
- projection and imaging systems of the next generation
The project work will be complemented by joint workshops and creativity sessions. In addition to the professional qualification, the candidates get scientific trainings and are educated in methods like Design Thinking, Business Model Engineering, Open Innovation and further soft skills.
We are looking for the most excellent Diploma or M.Sc. graduates in Physics, Photonics, Engineering or a related subject with a strong interest in applied optics. Applicants must have:
- degree (Diploma/Master) in Physics, Photonics, Engineering or related subject
- working experience in their subject area during their completed degree program
- knowledge in programming (LabView, MATLAB, ZEMAX) is beneficial
- excellent communication skills, competent language ability in English
The positions will start as soon as possible and end December 2018. Further information on the specific positions are given on the website of the Abbe School of Photonics (https://www.asp.uni-jena.de/Fraunhofer_Graduate_School.html) or of the Fraunhofer High Performance Center Photonics (www.leistungszentrum-photonik.de). Please feel free to contact the individual advisors given therein concerning specific research topics. Concerning any other information about this call, please contact Dr. Felix Dreisow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The employment will be at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. The part-time positions (75 %) will be paid in accordance to the German Public Services Regulations TV-L up to E13. The Friedrich Schiller University Jena seeks to increase the number of female scientists and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. The University is committed to providing a family-friendly workplace. In case of equal qualification, people with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications must be sent with nomination of at least one desired topic to email@example.com with all information attached in a PDF file of max. 5 MB.